1947 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
In 1941 Willys introduced the MB, formally called the U.S. Army “1/4 ton, 4x4, Command Reconnaissance.” The vehicle was the first mass produced military vehicle in the United States and proved to be a highly capable light duty transport for both troops and equipment. Almost immediately, Army personnel and the general public fell in love with the bare bones, boxy, utilitarian truck that became ubiquitous in parades, military bases and, most importantly, battlefields around the world. The popularity of the Willys MB didn’t end with the war, and after the return of peacetime a demand for Willys’ small truck maintained. In 1944, Willys began offering a “civilian jeep” dubbed the CJ. The first full production Willys jeep, the CJ-2A, were sent to market a year later and featured a tailgate, a different canvas top, a side-mounted spare tire, and a modified front grille. While still powered by the same L-134 Go-Devil engine, the CJ-2A replaced the MB’s transmission with a beefier three-speed to better suit civilian needs.
This Willys has been completely restored from top to bottom. It remained in the same family since the little truck was new in 1947 until purchased by the current owner. The car has undergone a complete restoration, including a brand-new tub, and has been painted a wonderful green and yellow combination. Some small aesthetic modifications have been added in reference to the Willys’ legendary history of overlanding, including a rope-wrapped front bumper, a jerrycan mounting point, and an axe carrying location on the driver’s quarter panel. The result is a fun and seriously capable little truck ready for whatever you could throw at it. 22,000 miles are shown on the odometer, which is believed to be accurate, and this Willys is an absolute joy to drive.